The new Google+ - When new tools overshadow old lessons
I'm on a 1920x1200 display, and the amount of information in my stream on a screenful of Google+ is pitifully small, even with three columns.
Have the designers tossed out all old typographical wisdom?
The single column view...
Get rid of it. In it's current form, it's a joke. It should have been a visual and design wise alternative - instead of a pinstripe of information in the middle of my display.
I'm not impressed.
There are a lot of bugs in the new layout.
- The bold font has really bad kerning.
- I get am/pm time instead of 24h clock as before.
- The - spacer between post comments needs to go. In fact it is
gone, if you look at a single post.
- The bold names in +mentions. We had that at the start in the old layout. It had to go. It still has to go.
- The translate tool links feel like noise now - unaligned and blue - all over the place.
- I no longer can see which of my most frequently visited Communities that have unread posts without opening the complete community list.
- The communities overlap on the community list, and flicker as well as swap places.
- The new G+ popout menu can interfere with the people info popup card, causing it to linger after you f.x. switch to community view.
- Unfortunately, the CircleCount buttons also frequently break the layout in the three column stream, going outside the post's div. It's pretty bad - to the point where I am considering dropping the extension.
- Why can't I edit a post from the All Notifications list?
- Why is this edit post window a tiny box when the post is quite long, the box has focus, and there is tons of unused space above and below?
The list goes on. #sendfeedback